Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Unsophisticated me

Here I am... sorry about the unannounced absence. We had three days of fasting and prayer at church in preparation for some special meetings with Pastor Charlie Sweet this weekend. I can't really fast that much food, so I "fasted" internet, among other things. We are very excitedly looking forward to this weekend's meetings.

:: I've been asked about the ticker on my blog. I don't know what happened but it sort of got stuck on 19 weeks about two months ago and I've unsuccessfully tried everything to restore it, but it always comes back in as 19 weeks. So, If I can't get a newer one, I'll have to keep track of the pregnancy the old-fashioned way: I am 33 weeks along. Thanks for your interest!

:: Every once in a while I look at older pictures (aka pictures of my life as a single, children-less woman) and I wonder if I am being unfair to my husband and children as we; all wonder where that woman went. In my way through marriage and motherhood I have lost several habits I used to have. Some are justified (at least in my mind) some have simply slipped away from me. I know I've blogged about this before... I've mentioned how there used to be a time when I wouldn't even consider leaving home without makeup, where I'd make sure my hair was styled, my clothes carefully chosen and matched, etc.

Among the justified changes: When I have a newborn, especially, I ditch the lipstick, the wristwatch and perfumes on purpose. The lipstick because I keep kissing that little tiny face and don't want to leave any residue on the sweet baby; the wristwatch because I don't want to hurt the babe when I shift them from arm to arm, car seat, moses basket, etc.; and the perfume because I don't want to overwhelm that new baby with the strong scent of a perfume. Then come the comfortable shoes to make life after a toddler easier on my feet; the more simple outfits that won't mind smudges of sticky fingers, food stains and other incidents that happen when you live life with little ones.

Then, among those that have simply slipped away are the styling of the hair... I just don't have the time to blow dry my hair every single time; etc., etc., etc. Then there is the money you need to spend in order to keep up with hair styles, clothes, make up... it is expensive to look sharp all the time! I have become so "unsophisticated" not to say plain... am I doing my family a disservice? Do I look as frumpy as I feel, especially when I compare myself to my "old" self and/or I get someone like Susi living with me who spends so much time doing her hair, and nails, and make up, and her husband isn't even here to see her right now!

Oh well... I suppose it is another one of those seasons we have to go through... right?

3 comments:

Darlene Sinclair said...

I know for a fact that you are beautiful from the inside. And the pics I see show outer beauty as well. As for money and time invested, asking Ben for honest answers is the best thing. It is for him, anyway. Next is for you and your kids. You need to feel good about yourself, and you want them to be proud of Mama (in a good way). So sort it out according to their needs, not according to comparison of before and after, or with any other person or culture. I know, in my life, there have been real ups and downs determined often by the season (newborn, finances, etc.) But there have also been ups and downs determined by my own lack of interest or care. Now my girls get after me, but then it was just waking up to realizing I was getting sloppy and making excuses. God will show you which kind of season you are in! He is so faithful -- it is definitely not top priority, but yet a priority of sorts. Hmmmm.... was that confusing?

Love you and still can't believe number three is coming! Hooray!

Maureen said...

Oh my gosh, Keila! You always looks so gorgeous....Really. But I do know what you mean about letting things go--and I go through the up and down of "I care" and "I don't care" like Darlene mentioned. You are a wonderful mom, and a beautiful woman, and I think you balance things just fine. Love you~

Mel said...

I think you're beautiful, even without make-up or fancy hair styles. Sometimes we just have to make priorities (like - TAKE A SHOWER - at least I managed THAT today!). I think you're doing a great job as a mom. Life has seasons, and we have to sow what is most important into that season. Someday you'll have more time and concern to care about your "outside" looks. For now, do the best that you can with the time that you have. Don't worry about it anyway, you have girls! Soon they will let you know if you get stuck in time! (I'm hoping to sow some fashion sense somewhere into my young men.)
Oh, and 2 more thoughts. One, I think we feel like this a lot in the last stages of pregnancy (after awhile, the same clothes that we thought looked nice feel frumpy because we've worn them over and over).
And thought 2, if you check back a few posts, didn't Susie dress you up gorgeous recently?