Tuesday, April 14, 2009

New Job

Well, *sigh* there it is. I have signed. I accepted their offer, they´ve accepted mine. Our little family life is about to change dramatically and I have mixed emotions about the whole thing.

I know life is of seasons and this is just another season. I love interpreting, I know it will enjoyable. But I can´t deny that there is a very big part of me that doesn´t like to have home life dictated by a commitment made in exchange of a paycheck.

I will work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 12:30 to 5:30 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 7:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. thus totaling 20 hours each week. Ben has made arrangements for his office hours to change, partly because of this, partly due to some re-structuring the church office is going through. At any rate, the re-arranging should work so that he is with the little ones most of the time I´m on the phone.

I won´t leave home. I will work here, but there is something that turns in my stomach every time the recruiters remind me that I am to ensure a quiet space. The lady I was speaking to yesterday, a mom herself, assured me that little ones "get it" and so mine should soon learn that "when the door is closed, they are not to interrupt Mom".... arghhh! I don´t like that! Now, I won´t be behind closed doors per se, but I do need to ensure the quiet space, so we will fashion an office corner with a closet space that we intend to make work as an "interpreting booth".

Thus the mixed emotions... Firstly, we are excited about the extra $$ and are already planning how to disburse it within our budget. Secondly, I can´t deny the excitement of the job in and of itself... what can I say, I do like to interpret. On the other hand, there are the sacrifices to be made at home.

We are fearfully walking through this, understanding that this is something we need to do and will serve as a tool to our family life as we learn to be more disciplined and intentional about our life. We´ll see how it goes and keep you posted!

4 comments:

Mel said...

I am praying for you as you start this new adventure/job. I know that God will give you grace and your kids too. He'll give you wisdom on how to help them.
I love you lots, and I'll try to not call you when you're "on". Hee hee. Maybe I should post those hours on my fridge?
Love you lots!

Maureen said...

After I accepted the job as peer counselor, I started to get scared about my ability to juggle, the sacrifices that may need to be made by family, etc. But God kept reminding me that it was Him who gave me that ball to juggle, and that His grace and strength would see us all through with joy and peace. I'm happy for you, and your children will enjoy even greater times of bonding and fun with their Dad! Fitting the money into the budget has definitely been fun!

andrea said...

i'm excited for you!! :)

Courtney @ splashing grace said...

praying this new job will be a blessing for all of you!