In a perfect world my house would run like clockwork:
*I would wake up before the little ones (to a clean kitchen and dining room),
*have some quiet time to myself,
*start the world for them and then receive them with a peaceful attitude and a smile
*do I need to go on... you pretty much get the picture
I don't live in a perfect world, so more often than not I am already catching up the minute I open my eyes. Not too pretty to describe in detail, so I wont.
Nine months after the birth of my baby I am finally feeling like I am about to begin some sense of normalcy. A good problem I have encountered is that after two weeks of diligently washing, drying, folding AND putting away the laundry I am actually having a hard time making it fit in our dressers! Organizing our lives and the home feels and looks like a daunting challenge: when do I clean if I start teaching the girls? Morning or afternoon? How many times a week? What about the extra activities that come knocking at our door? Where do I fit in the cooking if I clean after naps? How much longer will I need to rest during the day? But I know that I can only accomplish so much at a time and that I need to be realistic. I have yet to determine my next goal but I am sure it will fall into place just like the laundry did and I'm only going to focus on doing the next thing!
*I would wake up before the little ones (to a clean kitchen and dining room),
*have some quiet time to myself,
*start the world for them and then receive them with a peaceful attitude and a smile
*do I need to go on... you pretty much get the picture
I don't live in a perfect world, so more often than not I am already catching up the minute I open my eyes. Not too pretty to describe in detail, so I wont.
Nine months after the birth of my baby I am finally feeling like I am about to begin some sense of normalcy. A good problem I have encountered is that after two weeks of diligently washing, drying, folding AND putting away the laundry I am actually having a hard time making it fit in our dressers! Organizing our lives and the home feels and looks like a daunting challenge: when do I clean if I start teaching the girls? Morning or afternoon? How many times a week? What about the extra activities that come knocking at our door? Where do I fit in the cooking if I clean after naps? How much longer will I need to rest during the day? But I know that I can only accomplish so much at a time and that I need to be realistic. I have yet to determine my next goal but I am sure it will fall into place just like the laundry did and I'm only going to focus on doing the next thing!
5 comments:
I am in the same boat as you, my friend. But, God is going to give us the wisdom and stamina that we need for this task, I'm sure!
We started to work on "school" this week and it's creating a sense of routine for the boys. I'm really enjoying it, but ... laundry and dusting are calling, and the baby needs to be nursed or comforted ...
I love you! Maybe Saturday or Monday?
I think trying to find a balance is part of the never ending work of motherhood. It's so worth it though - I'd rather be an unbalanced mom than just about anything else.
Doing the next thing has kept me sane for many years. The juggling is a challenge, but I have found that each time I add something new to juggle, there is awkwardness for a while (and perhaps tears and weariness, too), and then I start getting the hang of it all---just in time to add something new to the mix (like a new baby...a new job!) :>) God's grace and provision of strength and wisdom never ceases to amaze me. Praying for you--much love.
I think it was James Dobson who wrote that moms should give themselves permission to say, "This is hard." Because it is. That always made me feel better--knowing I was actually doing something challenging. I wasn't just a lazy loser. (oh the thoughts that can pester us when we are up to our armpits in laundry and dishes!) xo
LOVE the new look on the blog! and I concur with the Ladies above... it happens...., it all works together-it might be different per household- when? to do what?, and how to teach who?- it might (and probably will) be different for each child- Thank the Lord for different personalities... You are doing a good job!!! Love you...MomL
I remember crying when Hannah, Cotter, and Jake were small saying....I wish someone would just TELL ME what to do. And then I would try one routine for a while, then another, discarding the things that didn't fit us and keeping the things that did. Listening to what worked for others, and kept them and their families thriving, and then tried it out a little. Some people work great with diligent schedules...and I just couldn't and can't do it. But somehow things got done and my children learned! Yet, that is the very things for others, and I have so much respect for them. Keila, from the outside, it is beautiful to observe your journey as you discover what fits you all...He'll keep talking. He doesn't leave us empty handed. For today, get over those colds! The other things will come in time.
Post a Comment