Monday, February 21, 2011

In the midst of a storm

The house is quiet, everyone is wrapped in peaceful slumber.  Outside a storm rages.  The  wind bangs on the attic door, demanding to be let in.  I don't think I've ever heard it this strong.  It almost feels as though the house is shaking, but I know it's not.  It feels so eerie, so scary.  I snuggle deeper within the blankets, look for the warmth of the bodies next to mine; one, to make her feel safe, the other to help me feel safe.  I can't sleep.  This feeling of being under water and the pressure headache from infected? congested? sinuses is not giving me a break so my mind rambles...   And as I feel the warmth and quietness that surrounds me in spite of the threatening outside, it hits me.

I've known it all along.  There is an enemy raging out there, banging on the door of my heart and demanding to be let in my life.  Someone out there wants to trap my family in the winds of stress, in the storms of life.  And we are going through some weather around here... adjusting to a new baby, packing up our life, finishing a chapter to begin a new one, all of it exciting!  But I have come to realize that with the excitement we can sometimes become blind to the traps out there.  The reality is that when I retreat to the quiet intimacy of the voice of God, I can hear it... I can hear the enemy raging and looking for a small crack to allow his devastating energy in.  So I will snuggle deeper into the blanket of His love, into the warmth of His hand, to help me stay safe.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

This is beautiful writing Keila!