Saturday, January 26, 2008

How I wish I could bring you all!

In a way it is almost like having you over for dinner at my house. I do dream of traveling with many more of you and show you that other side of me, show you my heritage in its most vivid expression. Thank you all for your comments and encouragement! It does bless me that you don´t see me as such an odd ball after all, because it is very easy to feel that way. Silly, I know.

It is always interesting too to see Guatemalan´s react to who I have become. You see, we all know there is change that comes with marriage, motherhood, and life in and of itself. But normally, you see the change happen progressively. Adjustments are made to your view in life, to your priorities and even to your appearance as you see fit and needed. The thing is, I left Guatemala as a single, business oriented, driven, strong and opinionated woman. I come back as a tiny bit more mature wife and mom. You here have seen me evolve into the wife and the mom. They down there haven´t. To them my change is so radical and strong it shocks them.

At the same time, life went on for them. I can´t just squeeze into the space I left because life around that space has morphed and changed for them too. I don´t always know what they´re talking about anymore. I am not a part of the inside jokes anymore simply because I´m not "inside" anymore. To some, that is so difficult to fathom that the questions arise: "Is she really happy? She certainly is not the same she used to be!"

All that to say that it is always an interesting experience to go back... I am telling you... bringing these my two worlds together becomes more and more interesting every time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How wonderful you are and I am sure that is shines threw you .....coming from our culture to what you did come from to is the same as getting together with high school friends that have now drifted apart and we try to relive what we thought was fun and now .....well we all grew up....so i think i understand what you are saying.
Blessings,
Jenn who is blessed by you and your family