Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Wear and Tear

In many ways I still feel like a newly-wed. All of our "new" stuff we got at the wedding still qualifies as new in my mind. So it came as a big surprise when after a couple days of using our Spring/Summer sheets on our bed I found a gaping tear on the fitted sheet! How in the world? These are new!!! I thought. But upon deeper thought and a more objective look around my little house I realized... ohh! We've been using these things for almost five years now! Nothing stays new forever, of course, I just guess I wasn't ready for the sudden realization. No wonder our shower curtain in the bathroom downstairs looks dull... and the matching rug, regardless of how many times I wash it, it still looks stained and dirty! duh! Of course, that's why our towels don't feel as soft anymore! I guess our list of things to buy for around the house just got bigger...

On an interesting/funny/silly/I-don't-even-know-how-to-qualify-this note... For a couple times already we've looked into the requirements for my citizenship. Mostly we've stopped the process because though we consider it important, it still hadn't made #1 in our priority list. We had other things like closing costs on the house, house taxes and such to take care of before we could look into that process. As time goes by and we manage to control more and more of our finances, "naturalization" has been going up on the list and so I decided to download the first form and fill it out promptly. One of the items to list is the exact amount of days I have spent traveling outside the United States, so I pulled out my passport and began the counting.

All this time we have celebrated our US wedding on November 25th. Well, when I looked at my passport, it didn't make any sense at all. My passport has a stamp that puts me entering the country on November 25th!!! I called Ben at the office and asked him... "Honey, when did we get married here in the US?" "November 25th" was his confident reply. Ladies and gentlemen, both of us have had the wrong date all along!!!

I went to check our marriage certificate... We actually got married on November 30th! Go figure! I guess having three marriage dates can mess up your mind just a bit!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol... and here I was reading thinking 'hummm I thought it was the 30th!'...love you...mom

Maureen said...

hahahaha! The years do fly by...I actually just broke down and bought ourselves some new towels...after 18 years of marriage!:>) We have company coming and I thought they should have something better than rags to dry themselves off with!

Anonymous said...

i will keep track of your third child's birthday if you need me to...

that's hilarious.
becky