We went to do the "Expectant Parents Tour" to St. Peter´s Hospital. We already liked the hospital but decided to check it out a bit more before choosing our doctor. After all, the drive to the doctor´s office is almost an hour and we want to be wise with our gas budget and although we had checked if they worked with Susi´s insurance, it turns out they don´t. That leaves our choices at having two different doctors or finding another one altogether.
*The tour: we liked the hospital, as we expected. However, their tubs are temporarily (as in indefinitely) unavailable!
*The alternative: My old doctor gave a couple recommendations to chose from. One of them happens to take Susi´s insurance, has a midwife based practice (according to the website you don´t see the doctor unless you have a complication). What had discouraged us from contacting them was the hospital where they deliver.
Upon closing of the maternity in St. Clare´s, where the girls were born, all births in that county were centralized in Bellevue, where this doctor attends. We loved St. Clare´s because of their more natural approach to the whole process. We felt more trusted as the parents of the new baby and we were encouraged to keep the baby with us at all times. Only once did they take my babies and that was for a few minutes while they did the pediatric evaluation on them several hours after birth. From all we´ve seen, Bellevue can tend to be more on the "medical" end of their approach and I didn´t want to feel like I had to come in and fight for things I didn´t want. Added to the list of cons is the fact that with all the births of the county concentrated in that one place they aren´t guaranteeing private rooms, so they can´t promise someone can stay with you, so we were happy to steer away from that and go have our baby without having to "fight" or face raised eyebrows for our preferences.
*Our third alternative is much closer for prenatal appts but it´s the longest drive for the hospital, all the way to Cooperstown.
So, am I too complicated to decide on a hospital? or doctor, for that matter? I know so many people who aren´t even concerned about visiting the hospital before the baby is born and everything works just fine for them... I wonder, am I really making too much of nothing?
*The tour: we liked the hospital, as we expected. However, their tubs are temporarily (as in indefinitely) unavailable!
*The alternative: My old doctor gave a couple recommendations to chose from. One of them happens to take Susi´s insurance, has a midwife based practice (according to the website you don´t see the doctor unless you have a complication). What had discouraged us from contacting them was the hospital where they deliver.
Upon closing of the maternity in St. Clare´s, where the girls were born, all births in that county were centralized in Bellevue, where this doctor attends. We loved St. Clare´s because of their more natural approach to the whole process. We felt more trusted as the parents of the new baby and we were encouraged to keep the baby with us at all times. Only once did they take my babies and that was for a few minutes while they did the pediatric evaluation on them several hours after birth. From all we´ve seen, Bellevue can tend to be more on the "medical" end of their approach and I didn´t want to feel like I had to come in and fight for things I didn´t want. Added to the list of cons is the fact that with all the births of the county concentrated in that one place they aren´t guaranteeing private rooms, so they can´t promise someone can stay with you, so we were happy to steer away from that and go have our baby without having to "fight" or face raised eyebrows for our preferences.
*Our third alternative is much closer for prenatal appts but it´s the longest drive for the hospital, all the way to Cooperstown.
So, am I too complicated to decide on a hospital? or doctor, for that matter? I know so many people who aren´t even concerned about visiting the hospital before the baby is born and everything works just fine for them... I wonder, am I really making too much of nothing?
4 comments:
Keila, I don't know about complicated, but it is important to you and that makes you an individual! It's fun to dream about the whole process of bringing a new person into the world. You want it to be special and this is a part of all that. May you find peace and joy in your decision making and decisions. ~Love you
In my limited experience, I found that as long as the person delivering my baby & I were on the same page (they knew what I wanted/didn't want), the other stuff kind of fell into place. Just keep trusting the Lord, Keila. He will make a way & give you peace. I'll join you in praying for His best. Love you & can't wait to see you in a few weeks, I hope! Have the boys talked about details? If not, you & I need to chat! :O <3
Just wanted to say thank you for the wonderful birthday greeting -- it was so special! Miss you and your little family. Danica and Ryan head back to CA soon (we are presently on LI visiting Aunt Judy) and will not be able to drop in for a quick visit with you. Always too, too much to do, isn't there? I am sad to think they will be leaving, but you know all about how that works. Thanks again, and thanks for the beautiful photos of you!
have you made any decisions yet?
Post a Comment