There was a funeral yesterday, of the father of a dear friend. Little people are hard to manage around these kinds of events, but I wanted to be there if only to let her see/know of my love and support. My favorite guy officiated the service at the funeral home and then at the committal. We (littles and me) sort-of-attended as one of them chose to fall asleep in each drive, so I sat in the car, ready to follow with my orange sticker that read "Funeral" on the windshield. Ben joined us for the drive and we talked about this man's example of life. He had been a Marine. What a touching and powerful statement to see three young uniformed Marines honor the life and memory of a WW II hero! Although I never met him personally, I feel honored to have been there.
While we waited in the car, I had books, puzzles and all that paraphernalia for little hands to keep busy. Among Elena's little stash I included her first little book for her to try to read. I though she might enjoy trying to read it while we waited. It is only three pages (5 three-syllable words) long. I never expected to be so soon reminded and reinforced in our decision to home school her... She sat next to me, little book in hand, and began to sound the first word: "P - a - m". She repeated the sounds a couple times, while looking intently at the letters, closer together, just a tad faster and suddenly, it clicked! "P - a - m, Pa-m... Pam, Pam!" Her face lit up, her eyes teared up as she laughed and exclaimed: "I'm reading!!"
Of course, my eyes were also blurred up with tears and I was so grateful for having been witness to my daughter's accomplishment. How priceless to see her face full of pride and satisfaction at having accomplished this task she has been dying to do!
I know not every day will be like this. Not every day has been like this and we've only done it what? 4 days? But I can already see how worthwhile it will be. The house is not tidy... I haven't really figured out how to occupy-distract-entertain Benny while we try to read a poem, not to mention a whole book chapter, I am only beginning to experiment at this juggling game of running home and doing school. But we will try to make the best of it all as I try to keep in mind that these days and these little milestones will be quickly gone.
We heard a song the other day and we really, really liked the message in the chorus:
"It's not the breaths you take that make up your life, it is the moments that take your breath away"
I can say with all certainty that yesterday was a day full of such moments, and I hope I never forget it.
2 comments:
My eyes teared up. Nice post. My g'pa was a ww II vet so I know services for them are very moving.
I'm happy for Elena!! That's so sweet. That really made me happy for her/you and my eyes welled too.
I think there is nothing so exciting as seeing the light go on as a little one realizes they are reading! My favorite part of homeschooling still, after all these years! Sounds like you are off to a perfect start! xo
Post a Comment