These past few days have been a treat in every possible way! To begin with, our wedding anniversary was the 3rd and my sweet husband surprised me with an appointment at a spa for a facial!!! I don't think I had had one of those before! I was spoiled and y face felt baby soft! After the facial we left Elena at my parents' and then went out for a nice lunch date. We had a wonderful avocado salad, steak, corn, baked potatoes and dessert. As I have told you before, my grandmother (dad's mom) is already 94 and one of her sons decided to have a recording made of her talking about her life before her memory fails her more and we loose all those wonderful stories. The video in and of itself was a joy to watch as she told anecdote after anecdote about her childhood, how she met my grandfather and her writings, but the real treat for me came at the end of the interview, when as she is closing with some personal thoughts the camera gets off her and suddenly starts showing what seems a very old video. "Mamita" (my grandmother) was all dressed up and she is standing outside a church. The church looked familiar to me, but I couldn't make out what it was about, until I saw this bride and groom position themselves right next to her on the receiving line. At that point, my mom exclaimed "That's my wedding!!" It turns out that my uncle had used an 8mm camera to record at the wedding and somewhere down the line completely forgot about it. My parents never saw it, so they didn't even know it existed. It was such a wonderful surprise to actually get to see my parents on their wedding day! We grew up looking at the pictures, but it is amazing how much it came to life as we watched it on the screen! Of course, now we will talk to the editor of Mamita's video and try to secure the whole recording of my parents' wedding and hopefully it will happen before we leave!
No comments:
Post a Comment