Monday, February 06, 2006

Superbowl

As I was doing dishes one day and was thinking of how long it usually takes me to accomplish the task (and any other task I set my hand to) I was remembering how I used to be the fastest, more practical woman anyone had ever met (except for my mom) back in Guatemala. Everything, from a test to getting ready in the morning and any kind of task in between I always finished first and had done well. When I came to the US I found myself being the last for everything! Everybody is quicker than me in everything. I have learned that I now live in a culture oriented to immediate results. From the kitchen to people´s personal develpment, everything is expected to render positive and efficient results right away. That is why I find it kind of intriguing that such a quick paced culture would make most of its sporting events last such a long time! That is without the added whistles of the pregame and postgame ceremonies. Now, no offense here, we were plugged in to the whole thing from beginning to end and were happy with the outcome as well. This is merely an observation from someone who has spent the past three years adjusting to fit into this new world that surrounds me and such observations are inevitable under the circumstances. At any rate, our day was enjoyed as were my sweet´s specialties as he wanted to make his own wings from scratch!
**************
Mientras lavaba los platos un día y pensaba en cuánto tiempo me toma terminar la tarea (y cualquier otra tarea que me disponga hacer) recordaba como yo solía ser la mujer más rápida, práctica y eficiente que nadie hubiera conocido en Guatemala antes (excepto por mi mamá). Desde presentar un examen hasta arreglarme en las mañanas y cualquier otra tarea de por medio, yo siempre terminaba primero habiendo hecho un buen trabajo. ¡Cuando vine a los Estados me topé con que siempre soy la última en terminar todo! ¡Todo el mundo es más rápido que yo! He aprendido que ahora vivo en una cultura orientada a resultados inmediatos. Desde la cocina hasta el desarrollo personal de la gente, se espera que todo rinda resultados positivos y eficientes inmediatamente. Es por eso que encuentro intrigante que una cultura tan apresurada haga que sus eventos deportivos duren tantísimo tiempo. Y eso sin agregar todo el bullicio de las ceremonias previas y posteriores al juego en sí. Ahora bien, sin ofender a nadie, nosotros estuvimos prendidos del evento completo desde que empezó hasta que terminó. Esto es sencillamente una observación desde el punto de vista de alquien que ha pasado los últimos tres años tratando de adaptarse a este nuevo mundo para quien observaciones como tales son inevitables bajo las circunstancias. De cualquier manera, disfrutamos nuestro día tanto como las especialidades de mi esposito que había dispuesto preparar sus propias viandas que, en esta ocasión, eran alitas en barbacoa.

No comments: