Sunday, November 04, 2007

Little lessons

Sometimes, God uses the most unexpected things to speak to my heart and impart little lessons. Maybe because He made me and He knows how I learn best, maybe just because He loves me. At any rate, here go a couple:

:: Friday night I finally came downstairs at 9:40 p.m. (you know, bedtime!). The girls were finally sleeping and I had yet to pick up all the toys in the living room, vacuum the shredded cheese Adriana kindly left me all over the carpet, and clean the kitchen from dinner. I began with the living room and made may way into the kitchen. As I swept the kitchen floor I kept thinking... what do I do to make this look half-way decent? The linoleum is old enough that it has lost its shine completely. It really doesn't take much for it to get very dirty, and it takes an awful lot to make it look really clean, and even then, it lasts clean only for a few hours. So this has been the pebble in my shoe, so to speak. I finally decided I'd attack each little stain with a scrubber before sweeping and mopping, maybe that would help... But ohhh, it is so late, I have to get on my knees and my back hurts already, I thought. And then it came... the sweet small voice:
"Only if and when you're willing to do the hard work on a regular basis do you get things to look the way you want them... it is the same with your heart... Only if and when you're willing to not only dust off the surface but get down on your knees and scrub it off on a regular basis will life feel the way you expect."
It is all about constant, regular and hard work! Duh! you may say... but it was a fresh reminder for me.

:: We were looking for a couple of cards at a local store yesterday. The girls were getting antsy, so I left Ben to the task and began walking the store with them. They have a beautiful Christmas room, so I took them there. They were both in awe of all the beautiful Christmas decorations and there was some Holiday music playing. Elena immediately said... Mami! Music! as she held my hand and led me to where she thought the music was coming from. The CD player was hidden under a table in a very quaint corner of the room. Elena's face lit up and she exclaimed "Come on, Mami, hold my hand... we're dancing!" I looked around the room in the hopes of being alone and shyly began twirling with her. But as we "danced" (in all honestly, we can't call that dancing... he,he) and I saw her happy face and heard her laughter, and then looked at Adriana bobbing her little head and flailing her arms while I held her I started loosening up. There it came again...
"...unless you turn from your sins, and become like little children..."
The purity of finding joy in the simple things! The joy of living boldly without regards of what people are thinking! And that was only in dancing to a little Christmas tune... how much more joy should we experience when we are doing our Father' will! And how much more joy does it bring to the Father's heart when He sees us delight in His creation and His plans for us!


1 comment:

Maureen said...

Thanks, Keila. That spoke to my heart.