Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ladies' Conference

I know I've held my thoughts on this way too long. Sorry... life just has a way to leave me behind lately. oh well, for what it's worth, here it goes:

For starters, I must say this is the first of many conferences that I felt really tried to cover the spectrum of all different seasons of a woman's life. The speakers really made it a point to encourage women to remember that our destiny is now and that means we have a purpose whatever station in life we may be in.

"Destiny is what is happening right now. Our destiny is the journey in and of itself."

We were reminded and challenged to be the "display of what God is to a darkened world" in everything we do and to live womanhood with intentionality. The main topic was to love ourselves, love our neighbors and above all, love the Lord.

More often than not and more women than not tend to forget that womens' lives are seasonal. Every season presents opportunities to serve and reach out but we tend to miss out on them because we take the one season we are in for granted.

We also need to be aware of where our challenges come from. Are we being challenged by people around us; by the world or by the Lord? Not that being challenged by people or the world is necessarily bad, but we do need to learn to recognize how and when to respond in each situation. Responding to a challenge and giving into trends are not the same thing!

What this conference did for me personally: I was reminded that it is not about how I feel. So many times I come out of church services where I had to "pray with my eyes open". I come out wondering if I even worshiped since I was so busy chasing little people around. It was refreshing to remember that I do connect with God because intimacy with Him doesn't have to follow a set structure. He loves me, and He will meet my need as long as my heart seeks Him earnestly. It doesn't matter if it has to be in the midst of caring for those He's given me to love for Him.

This isn't even a nutshell! There was such a sweet and beautiful presence of the Lord to soak in, good worship, great Word, wonderful ladies' to inspire us, little details to pamper and spoil us and so much more that I couldn't even begin to clearly and fairly share. The bottom line is, if you are hungry, you will eat and enjoy your meal regardless of how simple or complex it may be. The same applies to our spiritual life. If you show up with an open heart and a willing attitude there is no way you will come out dissatisfied! God knows how to serve a fine meal to a hungry spirit!

4 comments:

Maureen said...

It was a lovely time. I agree, every season of a woman's life was represented-and I definitely came away with a sense of destiny that isn't somewhere in the future, but right now.

Anonymous said...

Keila....just wanted to say hello. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am glad you are doing so well. Your kids are cute and so is your "tummy." -Ann

Anonymous said...

Like Maureen, thank you for sharing what you learned! It helps all of us to feel like we sampled the good stuff. Love you Keila. (Wondering about your Dr. appt?) :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Keila, Sounds like an awesome conference.. Isn't it nice to be refreshed...God has amazing timing right?.. God is so Good!!! Love Kristi