I tend to forget that we live in such a different world from the walls that surround my home. I forget that people don't always think the way I do and that often times, even family and friends close to my heart do not understand where we come from when dealing with certain issues of life. Yesterday, for instance, I had an eye exam. The doctor was this beautiful young woman, which I found quite perplexing until I realized that it will be 15 years from my highschool graduation next year. So it is ok to have doctors looking my age, or even younger, had I chosen to be a doctor that's exactly what I would look like. At any rate, she asked to make sure I had my eyes checked in a year because I was past due my check up this time. I replied I had intentionally missed my last check up due to the fact that I was pregnant at the time and didn't think it worth it as my eyes behave differently during pregnancy. Being as good a doctor as she could she strongly recommended to have regular eye checkups. Now mind you I have no plans of having another baby yet, but I do want more babies in the future, so I innocently asked: "Should I still have them checked during pregnancy?" She looked at me sort of puzzled and though I can't bring to mind her exact words her tone was enough to realize that she was surprised that I wanted more. I guess in some people's eyes I've filled the "quota" of a familly.
Then as we were paying our bill as Ben and I switched girls back and forth with the respective strollers and "accesories", the lady looked at us and smiled. "I remember those times" she said. "But don't worry, soon enough you will realize having them together was a good decision. I did it myself and now that my children are grown I'm still young and can enjoy life" (emphasis mine). Puzzled by her comment as she didn't look past her early forties we asked her grown children's ages. "Ohh, they're 9 and 11!" she said. Now, there was no point in even hinting that we "aren't done yet", not that I think she is for at such grown up ages of 9 and 11 it is my humble opinion that her children still need her, but hey, what do I know, my oldest is only 22 months old!
And then there is this. I don't know what the laws are and I have flown Delta before with a nursing baby. I don't know if people give me looks or not, I don't care and I don't pay attention to it anyway. Now I am always covered with a blanket and in the rare ocassion that I forget one, I do always wear a nursing camisole under my shirt to make sure I'm completely covered, but that is only a personal preference. Now, I am not an activist of any type so this is not a suggestion for any kind of boycotting anything. I am all for nursing my babies and am glad I wasn't the one escorted out of the plane for I don't know what a godly response to that would have been. I am just bringing it up as another illustration of the huge difference between My Own little world and this world we live in.
Ohh well...
No comments:
Post a Comment