Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A question (If anyone still reads this...he,he)

I'd like to know the opinion of moms of more than 2 children close in age about strollers.

We are in need of getting a new one this year and are still scratching our heads as to what are our best options. Single? Double? Sit'n'stand type? Sit'n'stand with double?

When going from one to two little girls we kept our first stroller and just added an umbrella one to the mix. Given that Adriana despises anything that straps her in, she doesn't ride in it for too long, but at the same time there have been occasions in which both of them want to sit for a little ride. Now, we won't be using the stroller for three children this summer, given that our newest baby is not arriving until the fall, but we certainly don't want to have to buy something else the following year...

any thoughts? What have you done?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Keila,
I don't know what "sit and stand" strollers are. I love a double stroller my MIL picked up for me at a garage sale. It's nice to have something for walks, parks, shopping excursions (in other words hard surfaces) that they can rest their tired feet in. I also love the fact it has a huge basket underneath for storage and shade to protect from sun. I had a double exercise stroller (also garage sale find)that I ran over with my van. I loved that for walks around the resevoir (off of hard surfaces). Then again, you may know all this about my strollers anyway :)

danica said...

Oh, yes, the double stroller issue. I'll stay tuned to hear what people have to say!

:)

Maureen said...

Yay! You're back. You must be feeling a tad bit better. For everything there is a season. I remind myself of that often as I deal with my own guilt about what is or is not happening in my home.
Strollers....I'm not much help, there. Our babies shared a regular stroller seat with their toddler sibling, baby in front, toddler in back. Jon shared with Emma, Emma shared with Dan, and we haven't used the stroller much with Matthew because he never liked it, and now they are broken anyway. I vote for the double, with a sit n stand for those times when you are in a hurry and don't want to carry the heavy 3 yo.

Anonymous said...

I have really liked having a double stroller, though there are inevitably the struggles with certain personalities who won't sit anyway and make you wonder why you bothered spending the money! :) That said, we certainly have gotten a lot of use out of our double-stroller-- much more than our single. Even if the extra seat just becomes a catch-all for coats and bags until little feet get too tired to protest sitting any longer, it comes in handy!

My $0.02 is that a regular tandem double stroller (one seat in front, one in back) is most all-purpose. As much as I love the look and all I read of the side-by-side umbrella or jogging stroller, I can't imagine trying to fit through shopping aisles or doors on my own with such a thing. If I owned one of those (in my dreams!), I would probably use it all the time for taking walks outdoors, because I hear they're FABULOUS on roads-- and even "off road!"-- but I would still keep my tandem stroller for the mall, Wal-Mart, etc. So if you can only buy one, I'd recommend the tandem.

One tip of advice when picking a double stroller: they can be very heavy if you're not careful. I almost bought an Eddie Bauer double stroller that I loved the look of (it had great details-- like lots of storage, cupholders, etc) and was on clearance, but then I realized it was almost 40lbs! That just seemed impractical to me. We ended up settling on the standard Graco tandem stroller because it was less than 30lbs and very easy for me to fold/unfold and get in and out of the vehicle. (I have a Graco Quattro Tour model as a single stroller and LOVE it, but it is heavier, so if you get the double Quattro Tour, test it and make sure you can maneuver it easily before purchasing.)