We are still making our way home, so pictures and video will have to wait until we get there. However, I can tell you more about the whole thing. The weather was really unbelievably hot and humid, if you read the article you'll see it eventually led to a premature halting of the race. However, although my husband did have to be checked by the medical personnel and slow his pace down to a walk, he had already passed the mile marker where racers were stopped and managed to finish.
He took off to a very good paced start and by two hours into the race he had covered a bit over half the distance. At some point, the heat did take the best of him and forced him to stop for about 20 minutes in an ambulance while they made sure he could keep up the race. This was his first marathon ever, he had every right to give it up because the weather and humidity really took a toll on every one racing, however, he told the medical staff he'd go to the finish line even if he had to walk. I couldn't be prouder of him.
A patrol lady was kind enough to lend him her phone so he could tell us he was way behind his goal schedule so we wouldn't grow weary or concerned when we didn't see him come within the hour. As an answer to prayer, she stayed with him on her bicycle the remainder of the race and kept a watch over him. Derek, Grace and myself began to walk into the track hoping to find him and encourage him to the end. Derek and Grace could run, so they did, I paced myself in a very slow walk and as I did I prayed... I was only walking and the heat and humidity were so unbearable, I couldn't imagine what he was facing.
Parked at the 1/2 mile marker before the finish line I got a hold of the lady that was riding with Ben and when I realized that Derek and Grace were about to meet them and that they were still about 3 miles from the finish line I began my walk back to Heidi, Susi and the children. We waited and prayed.
I can't begin to describe to you what it felt like to see him turning that corner towards the finish line. The culmination of so many months of preparation, of such intense hours of his body's struggling against the elements, of so many prayers, all wrapped up in these last few minutes of adrenaline. There weren't many spectators at that point, but it wouldn't really have mattered because everyone around us disappeared... it was my man, my hero, running towards his goal. This was his moment and he was all that mattered. Even the girls forgot the acorns they had been piling and proudly stood next to me to cheer him. In a mixture of tears and laughter we ran with him for a few seconds and then got split by the "tunnel" he had to go through for the official timing. We met him at the end and we were all on the ground celebrating his victory.
It wasn't until this morning that we found out that the race had come to an official stop barely a few minutes after Ben crossed the 20 mile marker, that so many runners had to be rushed to the emergency room and so many others did drop out of the race. That only added to our pride in his finishing his very first marathon, strong. He wasn't necessarily stronger than he'd been that morning, but in his spirit, he is a much stronger man than he was a year ago, when he made the decision of running a marathon.
Pardon the rambling, I just wanted to write down what I could while the feelings were still fresh.
He took off to a very good paced start and by two hours into the race he had covered a bit over half the distance. At some point, the heat did take the best of him and forced him to stop for about 20 minutes in an ambulance while they made sure he could keep up the race. This was his first marathon ever, he had every right to give it up because the weather and humidity really took a toll on every one racing, however, he told the medical staff he'd go to the finish line even if he had to walk. I couldn't be prouder of him.
A patrol lady was kind enough to lend him her phone so he could tell us he was way behind his goal schedule so we wouldn't grow weary or concerned when we didn't see him come within the hour. As an answer to prayer, she stayed with him on her bicycle the remainder of the race and kept a watch over him. Derek, Grace and myself began to walk into the track hoping to find him and encourage him to the end. Derek and Grace could run, so they did, I paced myself in a very slow walk and as I did I prayed... I was only walking and the heat and humidity were so unbearable, I couldn't imagine what he was facing.
Parked at the 1/2 mile marker before the finish line I got a hold of the lady that was riding with Ben and when I realized that Derek and Grace were about to meet them and that they were still about 3 miles from the finish line I began my walk back to Heidi, Susi and the children. We waited and prayed.
I can't begin to describe to you what it felt like to see him turning that corner towards the finish line. The culmination of so many months of preparation, of such intense hours of his body's struggling against the elements, of so many prayers, all wrapped up in these last few minutes of adrenaline. There weren't many spectators at that point, but it wouldn't really have mattered because everyone around us disappeared... it was my man, my hero, running towards his goal. This was his moment and he was all that mattered. Even the girls forgot the acorns they had been piling and proudly stood next to me to cheer him. In a mixture of tears and laughter we ran with him for a few seconds and then got split by the "tunnel" he had to go through for the official timing. We met him at the end and we were all on the ground celebrating his victory.
It wasn't until this morning that we found out that the race had come to an official stop barely a few minutes after Ben crossed the 20 mile marker, that so many runners had to be rushed to the emergency room and so many others did drop out of the race. That only added to our pride in his finishing his very first marathon, strong. He wasn't necessarily stronger than he'd been that morning, but in his spirit, he is a much stronger man than he was a year ago, when he made the decision of running a marathon.
Pardon the rambling, I just wanted to write down what I could while the feelings were still fresh.
5 comments:
thank you so much for sharing the story and the updates! i'm so happy for ben ... please let him know :)
We are very proud of Ben. He has done a fabulous job!
When I was on the phone with Ben yesterday and he told me that the lady rode next to him I almost cried. That was so awesome for him. I can't imagine him having to face that last stretch walking alone! Reading this once again brought tears to my eyes. What an awesome day for you guys. Like I've said before, I thought about doing a marathon years ago and gave up before ever setting foot on a track. It's amazing that he persevered in the heat, dehydration, exhaustion...you really should be so proud...and like we've said a hundred times. We are so proud of him. :)
becky
WOW.. thanks for sharing.. what a great accomplishment no matter when he finished or placed.. the main point is that he finished.. great job Ben!!!!
You're my hero.
Post a Comment