Saturday, March 04, 2006

"Romantic" movies...

After having gotten up with some unusual discomfort and pretty much spending the morning that same way we decided that I should best be off my feet for the rest of the day and give my body a rest. Ben was very emphatic about this and my afternoon was spent sitting on the couch. I was left to finish the last hour of "Wives and Daughters," and later in the day we decided to venture into watching a new (more recent) romantic movie for the evening. Our choice was "Chasing Liberty"... So I went from a real romance full of propriety where parents were given their rightful place, young ladies strolling about town always in proper company, and it was all about honor to finally finding ourselves having wasted our time in the most foolish movie. When did the word "romantic" went from describing virtues of character and proper behavior to being reduced to a few out-of-place kisses and the dilema of whether to go "all the way" or not? How sad it is to see what our society is morphing into. God help us stayed focused and keep our eyes in Him and His kingdom to not loose sight of what He intended love to be!
*****************
Después de haberme levantado con molestias inusuales y haber pasado la mayor parte de la mañana con ellas, decidimos que probablemente sería mejor que descansara el resto del día. Ben fue muy enfático al respecto así que el resto de mi día lo pasé sentada en el sillón. En el proceso terminé de ver "Wives and Daughters" y más tarde en el día decidimos terminar la tarde aventurándonos con un romance "más reciente". Nuestra elección fue "Chasing Liberty"... Asi que pasé de un verdadero romance lleno de actitudes apropiadas en donde a los padres se les daba su lugar, las jovencitas paseaban por las calles siempre debidamente acompañadas y todo se trataba de honor a encontrarnos habiendo perdido el tiempo en una película tonta. ¿Desde cuándo la palabra "romántico" dejó de describir virtudes de carácter y conducta apropiada y pasó a reducirse a unos cuantos besos fuera de lugar y el dilema de "hacerlo" o no? ¡Qué triste ver en que se está convirtiendo nuestra sociedad! Dios nos ayude a permanecer enfocados en Él y su Reino para no perder de vista el propósito que Él pretendió para el amor desde un principio.

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

I recently watched Wives and Daughters and found myself asking the questions you were. I loved how protective the father was of his daughter, the daughter's heart to be a part of his life, her love for home and friends. It was such a great story. I've heard that North and South is also a very good movie.
I'm sorry to hear you've been uncomfortable! Certainly take care of yourself...

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find a good movie that Josh & I both agree on. Let me know if you & Ben find some that are male/female friendly! :0)

By the way, how far along are you now?

Darlene Sinclair said...

Keep up all the good work! See you sometime when the weather breaks, I hope!