The morning looked very sunny, warm and inviting, so I thought we would take a walk Papi´s way and surprise him in the office. It would be such a short walk (not too menacing for my unfit-and-out-of-shape self) and it would surely make him happy. By the time I got through the "quick" things I wanted to get done before such walk the clouds moved in, Elena fell asleep and now I sit here enjoying the momentary peace and quiet. Earlier today, Sesame Street bought me some quiet time, so right now I am indulging in listening to the newest work of an old favorite: Ricardo Arjona. He is a very talented Guatemalan writer... yes, he is more a writer than he is a singer, he says so himself and though his topics of choice are not always my favorite, I must admit I do enjoy the skill he has to play with words and concepts and deliver them in poetry. This last CD was a birthday gift from my brother and it wasn´t until now that I have found the time to sit, listen and read the songs. This is one of those things that really belong in "My own little world" because I can´t really do much to integrate this into my current life. Ben has been gracious enough to sit with me as I attempt to translate the gist of each song and discuss with him what I like and don´t like about them, but as I voice out my attempted translation I realize how much I´m butchering his work because there is no way to make him justice in English and I feel bad for Ben having to put up with such a lousy version of what I enjoy... some things can be like that... some things belong in this sort of "black hole" in my life. You know, that place where I can´t bring who I was into who I am today for those who know me now and where I can´t take who I am now into who I used to be for those who knew me then... no regrets, though, God always has a good reason for everything!
***************
La mañana se veía cálida, soleada y era una clara invitación para salir a caminar. Pensé que una caminata hasta la oficina para sorprender a Papi (y no tan larga que amenace mi "falta de forma") nos caería bien y a él le agradaría mucho. Para cuando terminé de hacer el par de cosas que quería dejar terminadas se nubló el cielo, Elena se durmió y ahora me siento aquí disfrutando la paz y quietud momentáneas. Más temprano en la mañana, gracias a Plaza Sésamo pude tener mi tiempo de devoción, asi que ahora me estoy dando el gusto de escuchar el trabajo más reciente de un antiguo favorito: Ricardo Arjona. No hace falta que les diga a uds. quién es, pues ya todos uds. saben. Lo cierto es que aunque no comulgo con todos los temas que escoge tengo que admitir que su talento y su habilidad para jugar con las palabras y los conceptos convirtiéndolos en canción es admirable. Este último CD me lo regaló mi hermano y no fue sino hasta ahora que he podido sentarme a escuchar y leer las canciones como a mí me gusta hacerlo. Esta es una de esas cosas que realmente pertenece a "Mi propio mundito" porque no puedo hacer mucho para integrarlo a mi vida actual. Ben siempre me ha honrado con sentarse a escuchar mis intentos de traducirle al menos el tema de cada canción y dejarme discutir con él lo que me gusta y lo que no y por qué, pero cuando escuchó mi voz patéticamente intentando traducir su poesíame doy cuenta de cuanto "troceo" su trabajo porque no hay forma de hacerle justicia en Inglés y me siento mal por Ben que tiene que atravesar el suplicio de tan triste versión de lo que yo disfruto. Simplemente algunas cosas son asi... algunas cosas permanecen este "hoyo negro" de mi existencia. Ese lugar a donde no puedo traer lo que fui y hacerlo caber dentro de lo que soy para los que me conocen ahora y no me conocieron entonces y de la misma manera, no puedo llevar lo que soy dentro de quien solía ser para quienes me conocieron entonces y no me conocen ahora... pero no me lamento de nada... ¡Dios siempre tiene una muy buena razón para todo lo que permite!
4 comments:
Keila, How wonderful to enjoy this beautiful day! There is something about this sunshine and clean air that calls for a walk :) I love the pink! I will always be very partial to this color :)
Even being from the North and South US, as Josh & I are, many bridges just can't be crossed! We just have to leave some things as "cultural." Some things about the North Country I will NEVER get, and he feels exactly the same about Dixieland (the South). I can only imagine it's harder with 2 entirely separate countries. But isn't God good? We don't have to understand everything to be loving & obedient...a testimony in and of itself!
I honestly think that if there is someone who can translate these words... is you!! as hard as it may be... c'mon... youre super sister! hahaha
Luv ya!
I have been around many Latinos and I totally understand the "art" of translating. Sometimes I think to myself that maybe some things are just not meant to be translated! I guess in order to get a familiar feeling to certain lyrics, we as listeners need to make an effort to be in tuned with the laguage a bit more. Sometimes, translating forces us to change a whole sentence around! It cannot always be so direct! So, I understand the frustration you may feel at times, Keila!
Post a Comment