A birthday weekend left us with a very happy two-year-old and two exhausted but happy parents. Elena repeatedly asks me to play her the "apito" video (that would be the "happy birthday to you" video of her little party) as she loves to see herself blowing her candles out. She'll happily report that she is "dos" now, whether asked her age in English or Spanish.
We had doctor checkups yesterday and are happy to report that our two little girls are thriving. Well, that is if I don't attempt comparing them to other little people we know. Her baby, her baby and her baby are all younger than my Adriana and still look (and some actually are) bigger than her! Adriana is weighing 15 lbs. and measuring 24" while Elena weighs 27 lbs and measures 34". What can I say, if anything, my daughters inherited "petite-ness" from their parents who don't have much to offer in the "size" department!
Our first official and formal attempt at potty training ended just two hours after it began... that would be because I ran out of training pants in only two hours (I didn't think of buying more than three!), and before we could actually figure out to get in the potty before needing to go. Also, for some reason she decided today she did not want to sit on the potty at all. That doesn't help. So much for my enthusiastic determination! She seemed to be so excited about it, constantly asking to sit on her potty, so I figured it was time to get serious about it. *sigh* We shall try again later.
Adriana has spent the past 5 nights in bed with me. I can't figure out yet if it is because she is spending so much energy during the day trying to figure out how to move around that she needs to nurse so much during the night. It could also be a six-month-old cluster feeding due to a growth spurt, I really can't tell. I'm also trying to decide whether I should just let it pass on its own or if I should keep on insisting to put her back in her basket. Naturally, that would entail my staying awake for as long as it would take her to finally stay there. As it has gone these past few nights, she'll be sound asleep but the minute I put her in the basket her eyes open wide and she starts crying instantly, no "shaking" or "rocking" the basket helps her go back to sleep. So I'll take her out and let her nurse again for her to drift back into what would seem a deep sleep again in no time, and so it goes time and time again.
As always, any advice from experienced mommies out there is more than welcome! Have a good day all!
We had doctor checkups yesterday and are happy to report that our two little girls are thriving. Well, that is if I don't attempt comparing them to other little people we know. Her baby, her baby and her baby are all younger than my Adriana and still look (and some actually are) bigger than her! Adriana is weighing 15 lbs. and measuring 24" while Elena weighs 27 lbs and measures 34". What can I say, if anything, my daughters inherited "petite-ness" from their parents who don't have much to offer in the "size" department!
Our first official and formal attempt at potty training ended just two hours after it began... that would be because I ran out of training pants in only two hours (I didn't think of buying more than three!), and before we could actually figure out to get in the potty before needing to go. Also, for some reason she decided today she did not want to sit on the potty at all. That doesn't help. So much for my enthusiastic determination! She seemed to be so excited about it, constantly asking to sit on her potty, so I figured it was time to get serious about it. *sigh* We shall try again later.
Adriana has spent the past 5 nights in bed with me. I can't figure out yet if it is because she is spending so much energy during the day trying to figure out how to move around that she needs to nurse so much during the night. It could also be a six-month-old cluster feeding due to a growth spurt, I really can't tell. I'm also trying to decide whether I should just let it pass on its own or if I should keep on insisting to put her back in her basket. Naturally, that would entail my staying awake for as long as it would take her to finally stay there. As it has gone these past few nights, she'll be sound asleep but the minute I put her in the basket her eyes open wide and she starts crying instantly, no "shaking" or "rocking" the basket helps her go back to sleep. So I'll take her out and let her nurse again for her to drift back into what would seem a deep sleep again in no time, and so it goes time and time again.
As always, any advice from experienced mommies out there is more than welcome! Have a good day all!
3 comments:
Your girls sound to be doing wonderfully! And don't worry about Elena not potty-training quite yet. I've decided, after having 1 who potty-trained easily shortly after his 2nd birthday and now having a daughter who still cries at the mere mention of the potty even though she's 2.5 years old, that it's better to work with the child than to go by my own standards--or the standards of those around us. Some moms still look at me in shock that Bronwyn isn't trained, but most almost look relieved when I tell them she just doesn't seem ready! (For the record, I try to have a minimum of 6 pairs of training pants on hand with the assumption that I will wash some everyday; 9-12 pairs would be even better.)
Also, in regards to Adriana sleeping with you, I think the question that needs to be answered first is whether or not you can sleep well with her in bed with you. If you can, I don't really tend to think there's any harm in keeping her with you. Whenever she is weaned, there will be such an adjustment period in the mom-baby relationship that teaching her to sleep on her own will fit rather naturally at that point. But if you are having trouble sleeping with her in your arms all night (I struggled with this with Jackson, since he tended to move around a lot, whine, "chew" on me, etc.), then you may have to work on getting her sleeping on her own. It takes a couple (at least!) sleepless nights to conquer that baby desire to be with mom, but now that Jackson spends the majority of the night on his own, I find we are both sleeping better.
These are, of course, just my opinions. There is so much that has to be determined based on your baby's personality, your needs, and Ben's needs. For example, my MIL never let any of the baby's EVER in their bed, but that was because it really bothered my FIL to have them in bed with them. Things like this have to be factored into every family and relationship!
Praying you get some sleep, whatever you decide!
Yes! I don't feel bad anymore! Finally someone else has posted a lengthy comment! I am no longer alone! Ha, ha, ha, ha! :-D Therefore, my message will be cut short. :-) (It's my late Christmas present to you, Keila!) He, he, he, he! =D Just my two cents about your "short genes": my sister, Sarah....(who's adopted from Honduras), is like, 5'1 happens to be turning 22 this May....alright? Guess how tall I am? Take a wild guess. I am 5'4 & a quarter (to be exact). I am 17, now. (My birthday was on December 21.) You are not alone, my friend! My sister has to stand on a stool in order for her to put my cousin's 18 month old son in his crib! :-) I can't help but chuckle at the predicaments she often finds herself in .... due to her height! Okay, sorry for "typing" a lot! I have presented you yet ANOTHER long message. *Sigh* What can I say? Love! <3
Hi Keila :) Abby has declared she has to go to the potty and its only use thus far has been a pretty seat ;) Don't worry, it WILL happen. Trust me. God has designed it to happen and your mothering plus nature will bring it all together by age....10 :) Just kidding! I ditto what Brietta said about what works for your family. We have a 3 year old who climbs into bed with us every night about 2 in the morning, and most of the time we love the extra cuddle time. Jeremy might disagree on those mornings after Bannon has slept sideways ;)
Post a Comment